Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Dog or no Dog ?

Recently a good friend of ours bought a dog, it's quite a cute dog. i think it's a lab/poodle mix (laberdoodles i think ...)

I think my wife really really wants a dog, the crappy thing is that im not so sure i do. I don't really mind i guess but our dog may just passed away a few months ago.
Taking care of a dog is a huge responsibility, you have to walk it feed it play with it. You can say good-bye to vacations(unless you want to take the dog with you) and they can get expensive .. it's like having a kid that can never speak to you. It just barks.

But on the flipside they are quite cool, I still remember all the good times i had with our family dog! when it would snuggle up and do tricks. beg for food and do all the funny little things. Here is a picture of our dog when it was a baby and as an adult:


Every parent thinks their kid is the smartest and best, and every dog owner thinks their pet is the best. And i am no exception to that. Our dog May was the runt of the litter but lived to be an amazing 16 years old( thats like over 100 in human years i think) even in her last days the vets were amazed how long she lived for, especially since she was a pure bred!
When she passed away it was the crappiest thing that ever happened to me, it was like a family member died. I don't know if i can go through that again. I know if we get another dog i will outlive it, God willing, and i don't know if i want to go through that again.

Is it better to love then lost, or never to love at all? and if so is it fair that i don't ever want to share the love to another dog? I do like dogs! They are always happy to see you and never complain. I guess this is a reason that some people have dogs instead of spouses ...

I of course will never see May again, cause dog's don't go to heaven but she will always remain with me. I don't know if i can love another dog as much, maybe ... maybe not.

We are still in the beginning stages of adopting, who knows what will happen. I guess i will make the decision at that time....

No comments: